As much as I hate to admit it, it’s officially cold. Before the snow starts making its way to Toronto, let’s give a final ode to Summer—and what’s more Summer than pineapples?! Mmmm…
Even though pineapple season peaks from March to July, they are available year-round, making this the perfect I-Miss-Summer recipe you can make in Fall. And you won’t believe how low-calorie this delicious main course is. A 1 1/4 cup serving for only 161 calories?! Puts those boiled carrots to shame. Serve with brown rice or barley and a Guilt Free Pina Colada for a nutritious and succulent weekday dinner under 350 calories!
All recipes in the Healthy Eats category feature complete nutritional information (see below).
Sweet & Sour Chicken
20 ounces boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp raw honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (you can adjust the amount to taste)
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 small yellow onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch cubes
1. In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes
2. Place chicken in soy sauce mixture, tossing gently. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add marinated chicken and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
5. Add bell peppers and onion and cook until vegetables are slightly tender
6. Add pineapple and cook for 2 more minutes
7. Serve immediately
Calories: 161, Total Fat: 1.5g, Sat. Fat 0.25g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.25g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g, Carbs: 17g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 13g, Protein: 21g, Sodium: 404mg, Cholesterol: 48mg